Not that we really need a reason to celebrate, but 2012 will be the year of the duck. And the goose. At least in California. You see, next July after a long eight-year phase out, the sale and production of foie gras, French for fatty liver, will be illegal in the state. Violators of the law could be fined up to a thousand dollars a day. What could possibly be so wrong with a food product that it would be outlawed in an entire state?
Foie gras has been called one of the cruelest forms of animal agriculture. Ducks and geese raised to produce foie gras are force-fed via a tube shoved down their throats. This force-feeding takes place several times a day until the birds’ livers have swollen up to ten times their normal size. The resulting condition, hepatic lipidosis, is literally a diseased liver. Undercover exposés have documented birds whose organs have become so enlarged they’ve ruptured completely. Some have had their throats torn by the pipes.
To celebrate the demise of this so-called delicacy in California, Harvest Home Animal Sanctuary is giving foie gras a hearty send-off this weekend. A volunteer is hosting Death of a Cruel Delicacy: A Farewell to Foie Gras Soirée which will feature an incredible array of vegan appetizers and desserts. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, or will happen to be there this weekend, come celebrate this joyous occasion with us. At the event, you can:
- Help raise funds for Harvest Home Sanctuary’s animal healthcare fund;
- Enjoy seasonal vegan appetizers, specialty beer and cider;
- View original photography of the sanctuary’s ducks;
- Donate vegan food to support the Emergency Food Bank of Stockton/San Joaquin and be entered to win a free Harvest Home t-shirt;
- Receive a free holiday goodie bag;
- Bid on silent auction items like jewelry, clothing, artwork, gift certificates, sanctuary greeting card sets, and a sanctuary vegan dinner for four;
- See a short film of Harvest Home’s rescue work;
- And join a game of Harvest Home Trivial Pursuit.
Space is limited. Purchase tickets in advance online here. Hope to see you there!